Trick or Treat Yo Self On Halloween!
Halloween can be a fun time of year, but let’s face facts—it can be exhausting! Not only are there decorations to put up and costumes to put together, but there is all that candy to buy and trick or treating to be done. It’s enough to make you say, well, enough!!
For me, Halloween is the beginning of the season called “Busiest Time of the Year.” Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s are all right in a row. That’s a lot of cooking, eating, shopping, and celebrating going on. And when you factor in all of your regular activities and work schedules, it can be overwhelming.
That’s why it’s important to take care of yourself right now. Do some nice things for YOU!! I promise you won’t regret it. So without further ado…
6 WAYS TO TRICK OR TREAT YO SELF!!
- “Carve” out some time for yourself. (See what I did there…haha!) I know you’re not a pumpkin, but you really do need to set aside just a few minutes each day to simply breathe. Maybe reflect on what you’ve accomplished already—and give yourself a little pat on the back! Or maybe make a list of what you need to do and visualize yourself having it all done.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Some of the times I have been the sickest, I have also been dehydrated. You may not like water, but you NEED it. Dehydration causes all sorts of symptoms, but it can make you super duper tired and you need that energy for the little trick-or-treaters. Drink and be scary!!
- Buy the good candy—for you!! Look, those little kiddies can’t eat all the candy they collect and half the time their parents are picking out the good stuff while they are sleeping anyway. I know this because I’ve done it! Not all of it mind you, but I admit to skimming off the top of the candy bag more than once. Trick-or-treaters are scarce in our neck of the woods, so it’s easy to buy a bag of candy we like and not worry about having to give it away. Not everybody can do that though, so treat yourself to a bag of your favorites and stash it away for later!
- Save the pumpkin guts. Yep, that’s what I said. Save the guts, clean off the seeds, and bake them in the oven. You can find all sorts of recipes online, but I recommend going with some spicy seasoning! The perfect snack to eat while you are propping up those sore feet after a long night of keeping up with the ghouls and goblins.
- Put on your mask. One of the best things to do at the end of a long day is to pamper yourself. So put on your favorite face mask and leave it on while you hand out candy…or sit on the couch and prop up your feet! My personal favorite is Skin Polish, but I’ve heard those homemade pumpkin masks are pretty sweet.
- Have a party!! I know some people love to party and some people don’t. Then there are people like me who like the “idea” of a party, but get tired and can only wear the Spanx for so long before we have to go home to our comfy clothes! So throw that kind of party. Nothing says love like a friend who invites you over in your pajamas for snacks and a movie!!
Those are just a few ways you can practice a little self-love/self-care during this busy time of year. I’m sure you can think of a few that sound just as fabulous!! Halloween is a great time for costumes and ghost stories and bags full of candy, but sometimes you just need to treat your own self. And that’s no trick!