It should be no secret to anyone in this world that I have a slight obsession with Christmas decorations. Challenge Day 28 is dedicated to cleaning out all of those pretty decorations.
Now, decorations are not exclusive to Christmas and can include anything from holidays, party decor, knick knacks, brick a brack, every day household decor, or anything anyone uses on any occasion to make things look pretty. Call it what you will–it’s still a decoration!
Most of us have things we use at various times of the year, as well as things we leave out year round. We also have things we put away “just in case” we decide to use them again later. It’s time to go through ALL of that stuff.
Admittedly, it may take more than one day for this challenge. Especially if you are like me and have half of a room taken up by Christmas decorations. It’s okay if it takes more than a day. We aren’t going anywhere!
- Go through box by box, shelf by shelf, or a pile at a time and determine what you have.
- Fix or toss what is broken.
- Things that are no longer to your taste go in the sell or giveaway pile.
- If saving to pass on to children, other family members, or friends, start a list right now of who gets what.
- Decide if decorations can be used in a new way. Upcycling is the greatest thing ever!
- Divide decorations by use–holidays, every day, etc. Try to pare them down. We are decluttering after all!
- Store decor in clear containers so that contents are visible. If containers aren’t clear, label the boxes so that you know what you have. It’s also okay to store on open shelves if you have the room.
- Hang up as many things as possible–wreaths, mirrors, art, etc.
- Garlands, light strands, ribbons, and other like things can be wrapped around hangers and put in a closet or on a rack.
- Designate a specific area for storing decor. Whether it is a closet, a few shelves, or an entire room, try to limit what you allow yourself to keep. (This is probably the hardest thing for me!)
- Hanging shoe bags work great on the back of a door or in a closet and can hold quite a bit of stuff!
- Pull out plastic drawers also work for decor storage. Be sure to label the contents.
Decluttering and organizing decor in our house is a huge job for me. It is probably going to take me several days, if not a couple of weeks, but I am okay with that. Spending time decluttering now gives me more time for fun later on. Plus, less stuff equals less stress and I am all for that!
If clutter is blogging you down, join the 30 Day Clear the Clutter Challenge and take back your home!