How To Be Christmas Crazy
It’s no secret to anyone who spends time with me that I’m a “Christmas Crazy” type of person. In today’s gloom and doom world, I feel like I need to surround myself with good and positive things. It just so happens, that Christmas is one of those!
Now, just in case you are not a “Christmas Crazy” type person and you’ve ever wondered how to be, here is a 5-step program just for you.
- You are going to need lots and lots of Christmas music. Any type will do, but there are certain albums that are on my must-have list to start.
- Elf Soundtrack. This is a must to pep you up and get you ready to face the crowds, the shopping, and/or the tasks you don’t love (for me, that would be wrapping). And if you’ll dance a little too, you’ll feel even better about it all!
- Noel by Josh Groban. Because it’s Josh Groban and he sings with Brian McKnight and the two of them together make the angels swoon. Seriously.
- Christmas Cheers by Straight No Chaser. It’s just fun, y’all. Who doesn’t need more fun in their life?!?
- Christmas by Michael W. Smith. This is an older album, but I’ve about worn it out. I have an actual CD and I have it in my Amazon music library. I also have it saved on YouTube. You know…just in case I lose one of the other two!
- Light of the World by The Martins. Two sisters and a brother who sing these awesome harmonies. Their a capella stuff is my favorite!
- Speaking of acapella, try Christmas Hymns by Anthem Lights. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
- For more ideas, check out The Best Christmas Playlist to Get You in the Spirit!
- You will also need decorations. Any kind will work and if you can manage to make at least one thing yourself, it can add all sorts of fun. It doesn’t have to be fancy…string some popcorn or pour some glitter in a clear ornament. Voila! You have made it festive and you’ve made it yourself. Now obviously, don’t stress yourself out about decorating if that’s not your thing. Make it as simple or as wild as you want it to be. My preferences are probably a little over the top for some, but it makes me so happy. You do you though! Here are a few ideas in case you need inspiration:
- Make your own snowballs!
- Choose a theme and decorate around it…Santa’s Mail Room will be making an appearance again this year, but you don’t have to be that specific. Choose a color combo that you like…it doesn’t have to be traditional Christmas colors!
- Buy some Christmas craft, decorating, or cookbooks for inspiration. Gooseberry Patch probably has the best ones I’ve seen yet.
- Use what you have around the house. It’s not unheard of for our trees to have picture frames, lanterns, painted gourds, toys/dolls, or collectibles in them. A little wire works wonders by the way.
- Next, you should watch a few Christmas movies for inspiration. See how even the grumpy guy gets some Christmas Cheer in the end? That’s what we are going for. Christmas Cheer. All day, every day! (I said we’re going for it, not that we will necessarily achieve it…we all have bad days!) Here are a few from my “must watch” list:
- White Christmas
- The Star
- Santa Clause Trilogy
- Angels Sing
- The Nativity Story
- Check out some more favorites — Christmas Movies to Get You In the Spirit
- Now, you need to do nice things for yourself and for others. This isn’t about gifts, this is about kindness.
- Hold the door for someone
- Smile and say hello to a stranger
- Pick up something that gets knocked over
- Take a break and put your feet up (and listen to that Christmas music)
- Finally, you need to find your Christmas Spirit!! I can’t give this to you and you can’t buy it. It’s something you are going to have to reach deep down inside and pull out. If you’re doing all the other steps, this should be very, very easy to do.
Whatever way you choose to celebrate, do what brings you joy. Being “Christmas Crazy” isn’t necessarily for everyone and that’s okay. Just remember that it is the Season of Giving and that includes our attitudes. Give a little happy, give a little hope. And maybe you’ll get some of it right back!!