Turkey Avocado Roll-Ups
Just in case you didn’t know, I like to eat! And some of my favorite things to eat come in the form of appetizers or “finger foods” and these Turkey Avocado Roll-Ups make the perfect appetizer. They even make an awesome lunch time treat!
This recipe is great for people who spend long hours away from home and need something that can be put together quickly for lunch or dinner. An added bonus is that it won’t heat up your kitchen during those hot summer months.
The original idea for these came from a sandwich picture I saw online. There was no recipe, but I could see what the basic ingredients were, so I made up my own and I’m sharing it with you!
Turkey Avocado Roll-Ups Recipe
10 flour tortillas (flat bread also works)
2 Tablespoons spreadable cheese, per tortilla. (Garlic & Herb, Onion & Chive, or Jalapeno Cream Cheese all work well. If you are using the mini-wedges, it takes one to two per tortilla.)
3-5 fresh spinach leaves per roll (make sure to remove the stems if they have them)
Provolone cheese, 1 slice per roll
2 packages (9 0z) Turkey or a pound or so of sliced deli turkey, 2-3 slices per roll (Flavored turkey like sundried tomato or mesquite are great for these!)
4 medium avocados, mashed. 1 Tablespoon per tortilla.
1 red pepper, chopped. 4 teaspoons per tortilla.
This recipe can make a lot or a little! If you just want a snack or quick lunch for yourself, use one or two tortillas. If you are making a bunch to share, use the whole pack (about 10) and cut into smaller pieces.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of cheese onto a tortilla. Make sure to get some out toward the edges.
- Spoon mashed avocado down the middle. I’ve made these with just sliced avocado and it makes all the ingredients slide out, plus it doesn’t cut well and you wind up mashing it all down anyway.
- Layer some chopped red peppers on top. You can use sliced red peppers, but the last time I did that, it made it very messy to eat and almost impossible to cut without the ingredients sliding out.
- Add a layer of spinach. Make sure the leaves are pretty dry. Nobody likes a soggy snack!
- Next, add one to two slices of provolone cheese. Cut the cheese in half and make sure to press it down. The more thinly sliced your cheese is the better. I can tell you from experience that it makes it so much easier to roll! I only used one slice of cheese on my last batch because it was so thick, but if you just love provolone cheese–use as much as you want!
- Layer some turkey on top. I use two to three slices on each tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can with all of that yummy goodness in there! When I make these as an appetizer, I usually roll them in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. They stay together better if you have time to do this. If you are in a hurry like I usually am, just use a toothpick to secure them after they are sliced!!!
Hopefully, you’ll enjoy these Turkey Avocado Roll-Ups as much as we do. Don’t forget to check out some of the other recipes on the blog and sign up for the That One Mom mailing list so that you don’t miss out on the new stuff!!!